Nominate a Student for the Newman Civic Fellowship
The Center for Social Impact is seeking nominations for the 2021-2022 Newman Civic Fellowship, a national award through Campus Compact.
The fellowship is a one-year experience that provides students with training and resources that nurture their assets and passions to help them develop strategies for social change. Through the fellowship, Campus Compact provides in-person and virtual learning opportunities focused on the skills fellows need to serve as effective agents of change in addressing public problems and building equitable communities.
The Newman Civic Fellowship is intended to honor the leadership legacy of Campus Compact founder Frank Newman by recognizing community-committed students who
- Engage in collaborative action with others from campus or from surrounding communities in order to create long-term social change
- Take action in addressing issues of inequality and political polarization
- Demonstrate the motivation and potential for effective long-term civic engagement
Each institution in the Campus Compact network may nominate only one student to serve as the Newman Civic Fellow, and the nomination comes directly from the President’s office. The fellows are expected to:
- Participate in the professional development opportunities provided by Campus Compact
- Meet periodically with an on-campus mentor (this can be the fellow’s nominator, a faculty/staff member of their choosing, or staff from the Center for Social Impact)
- Propose, plan and execute a social action project to engage the University community, for which the Center for Social Impact will provide $500 in funding support.
Nominees must have at least one year left in her/his/their program of study in order to be considered, so members of the classes of 2022, 2023, and 2024 are eligible. (The current 20-21 Newman Fellow is Luckario Alcide ’21 and previous fellows have included Pablo Idrovo ’20, Sunny Hong ’19, and Camille Giacovas ’18.)
If you would like to nominate a student, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief letter of nomination (less than 500 words) and the student’s contact information. Students are then invited to apply and submit a proposal for their social action project. Please submit your nominations to email@example.com no later than Wednesday, January 6th.
Related Web Site : https://compact.org/newman-civic-fellowship/
For more information, contact Andrea Canuel / Ext. 3393 / firstname.lastname@example.org