An internship in the Office of Admission allows students to gain insight into and impact the admission and recruitment practices of Fairfield University. Through the many different efforts and services the office provides, student interns will have the opportunity to build upon their professional, communication and creative skills through exposure to a wide variety of tasks. This particular internship will be a year-long assignment that assists the Office of Admission in expanding its efforts to recruit and yield a diverse class of students. Interns will report to members of the MVP team overseeing diversity initiatives.
Diversity Intern must:
- Be a member of the class of 2023 or 2024.
- Have a record of reliability, maturity, and professionalism.
- Be flexible and adaptable.
- Have an awareness, comfort and passion for diversity work and working with diverse groups of people.
Position Responsibilities of the Diversity Intern:
- Assist with diversity recruitment efforts which may include:
- Communications to prospective and admitted multicultural students
- Help facilitate in-person/virtual campus visits for individuals and groups
- Confirm and/or possibly attend in-person/virtual high school visits and/or fairs
- Conduct research regarding diverse students and populations
- Serve as the Student Chair for the Multicultural Visit Program (MVP)
- Assist in event planning
- Coordinate student involvement and serve as on-site contact for evening of the event
- Serve as creative director for evening activities
- Assist in coordinating the Community Partnership Scholarship Program
- Communicate with enrolled Community Partner Scholarship recipients
- Assist in planning visits and outreach for the Community Partnership schools
- Assist in managing and recruiting diversity recruitment team
- Schedule roundtables to inform diversity practices
- Assist in coordinating outreach to diverse applicant pool
- Set meeting times and generate Zoom links
- Inform current students about meetings
- Assist in engaging and recruiting students from diverse backgrounds to assist in admission and recruitment related activities
- Be trained to give campus tours and interviews if needed
- Other duties as assigned
Compensation and Training:
- Students may submit internship to earn 3 credits *upon faculty and registrar approval
- A $700 stipend per semester will be provided
- Experience in event planning, strategic planning, data analysis, communications/public relations, outreach, marketing, management, professional writing, public speaking and research
Student interns should be a junior or senior prepared to work between 10 and 12 hours per week in the office, including some evening and weekend hours. Presence may be needed at major Admissions events which include Fairfield In Focus, Magis and MVP. Weekly schedules are flexible and should be set at the beginning of each semester. Dress should be casual but neat, and professional on days when appropriate. Since the Admissions interns are looked upon and are asked to represent the professional staff of the office on numerous occasions, their demeanor (especially in public) is expected to be professional at all times.
Due Date: Until Filled
Interviews: Candidates will be contacted to schedule an interview with members of the Admission staff.
Questions? Contact Nakia Letang at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ben Bayers Benjamin.email@example.com.