Cybersecurity Awareness Tip - Antivirus
What is Antivirus?
Software that keeps a computer from getting infected with malicious software. Antivirus can also help to detect and remove malicious software on an infected device.
Why do I need Antivirus?
Among other things, malicious software can be used to steal usernames and passwords, steal personal and sensitive information, send spam email and even encrypt data on a company or university network making it inaccessible (see last week’s tip on Ransomware: https://todayatfairfield.fairfield.edu/todayatfairfield/eventShow?eventID=90121) . Antivirus can help prevent, detect, and remove malicious software. Please contact ITS if your Fairfield University owned computer does not have antivirus installed.
Tips for using Antivirus
- Make sure all of your computers have antivirus installed. If you are using a Fairfield University owned computer and do not have antivirus installed, contact ITS.
- Keep you Antivirus software up to date.
- Scan your computer for viruses regularly.
- Backup your critical files regularly. Store at least two copies in different locations if possible.
- Keep your computer operating systems up to date
- Allow software patches to be installed when prompted
- Keep software on your computer up to date. Uninstall unused programs.
- Reboot your machine on a regular basis to ensure updates are fully processed
Symantec Endpoint Protection is now available for student’s personally owned devices free of charge. Below are instructions on how to install:
- Visit: https://my.fairfield.edu/
- Search for Symantec
- Sign in using your email address (don’t include student in the email address)
- Lucas.Stag@fairfield.edu = good
- LucasTheStag@student.fairfield.edu = no antivirus for you!
- Select “Enroll this device”
For more information, contact Justin Hickey / 2032544058 / email@example.com